Monday, January 11, 2010

I'm not a slut, I'm a punk

On Saturday we were spending the night with my boyfriend's friends. Just talking and drinking and hanging out. At some point we were playing Alias, the game where you have to explain the words to your partner. At that round everyone had right to guess, so I tried to explain the words so that only my boyfriend could understand them.

At that night I was wearing a skirt and two pairs of stockings. Bright orange ones, and then black fishnets on the top of them. The orange ones were too bright to wear just with themselves (I felt like an exclamation mark), and wearing only fishnet stockings in -10 Celsius isn't the choice for winners. Not that I would have done it anyway, cause some way they make me feel a bit too slutty. Even though punks use them as well, and I have no problems being considered as a punk. That's why I was wearing my Dr Martens with them.

Anyway, earlier my bf had made a joke about my stockings asking if I was going to go fishing with my nets. And I answered that sure, we didn't really have any breakfast at home, so I would have to get some - with fishing, if there weren't any other ways. Later that night, during the game where this whole story started, I had to explain the word FISHERMAN. So, I thought it would be an easy one, and said "you called me that earlier tonight because I'm wearing nets."

Two of the three men in that room (including my boyfriend) yelled at the exactly same time: "A WHORE!"

I have to say I was a bit surprised (and snappy) of their way of association, but I guess that just revealed what men really think. And therefore I feel it might be the best not to be asking him "can I go out dressed like this?" anymore. Next time you see my fishnets I will be wearing a "Punk's not dead" - t-shirt and a safety pin in my nostril with them. Not that it would be the way punks do it, but I guess even these men could get the hint then.

No comments: